Socket Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently my fridge freezer runs off of a wall socket which, it turns out is actually an extension of sorts. This socket is plugged in, via a normal plug, to a permanent plug socket elsewhere in the room. Kind of like a 4 way ext socket, but it has a standard wall socket instead of the strip of sockets.

I would now like to move the fridge freezer and so need to move the socket. Assuming the way it is wired at the moment is safe, I was going to buy a longer length of cable and just move the socket.

What type of cable would I need as I have read here that there are various different types suitable for different needs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1.25mm² or 1.5mm² 3-core flex.

But supplying a socket like that is very tacky - why not add a new one to the circuit, either as a spur, or on the circuit properly?

Thanks. To be honest it's simply down to cost. I'm perfectly of capable of wiring a plug and socket, but I'm not comfortable putting in a spur, so I'd need to get someone out. If what is being used just now is safe (and no-one will know the difference visually), then I'm happy to stick with that.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds: very useful info in those posts. It looks like I'll be fine with regards to cable placement, which is good, although I suppose there's no harm in using some armoured cable is there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back