Garden Fence - Moving it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm not 100% sure that this is the right category, but it is the closest I can find.

I have recently bought a house where the driveway runs all the way down the side and extends partially into the garden. My garden fence currently runs around the edge of the drive. (sketch attached)

View media item 32236
I want to move my fence and gate (green line) round to the driveway, a distance down the drive (red line) so I can use the tarmac behind the fence as a base for a shed and to store my bins etc.

One side of the gate can be connected to a baton bolted to the side of my house, and the other end can be connected to an existing fence post of the fence that run down the side of the drive (blue line), but I will need to put up a fence post on my drive for the other side of the gate.

I have done some research and I think the best way is to cut out a square of tarmac with an angle grinder and dig down to about 2', concrete in the post to about 2" below the level of the drive and use the cold-set type tarmac and jointing compound to finish it off.

I was wondering if anyone else has done anything similar and could give me advice on possible pitfalls and what types of tool I will need to buy (such as some kind of tamper for the tarmac etc)

Cheers

Tom Berry

Sponsored Links
Also, as a quick aside, wuold you recommend making a small wooden base for the shed rather than just placing it on the tarmac? I would have thought that it could ten be subject to damage from standing water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back