Garden frontage ideas please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, looking for some ideas please? I live in a conservation area and part of the SDNP, and my home is not listed but is classed as within the curtilage of a listed building.

I plan to sell the property so am keen to make the frontage appear more appealing but staying respectful of the setting and the fact that it fronts a B road but is adjoining the entrance drive to a listed building.

I need to consider the sight lines at either end and want to be compliant with conservation area and SDNP policy. I'm thinking of putting a few low posts along the boundary as shown in the last thumbnail and would like to put something quite impactful but within the spirit of the environment... any ideas?
Hanging basket at each end? A foot-wide run of white stones/gravel along the wall of the house and planted with shrubs? Maybe a couple of large tubs with statement plants in, although I believe anything would need to be under 1m in height so that may not be possible?

You can see that it's not symmetrical as the 2 long windows are set to the left, so it's quite hard to envisage how to make it appear as if the frontage which is essentially a large grass verge, is part of the house and is actually the front garden. It's 19m by 5m.

Do I need to consult planning/conservation to do any off these things?

Many thanks for your time, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I don't know anything about conservations areas/planning....

You will probably find the tarmac footpath continues for quite a few inches under the grass. You could take it back to a neat edge with a spade/edging iron.

In the 2nd photo, use a square mouth shovel to scrape up the weeds/mud on the tarmac side of the kerb.

Replace the old logs with boulders, maybe painted white. The white paint won't last long, but it's cheap and cheerful.

A few nice planters (whisky barrel are a good size) dotted about, fill them up with cheap seasonal bedding plants, and they can come with you when you move.

IMO don't go bonkers, people coming to view the house will only be looking at that patch for a few seconds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back