Turning weed infested garden into gravel, ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I said to my friend that I'll try and help her with her front garden.
It's a new build and as you can see the weeds have taken over!

IMG_20210428_173857.jpg IMG_20210428_173916.jpg IMG_20210428_173940.jpg

I don't know much about gardening but the ground below the turf seems poor and can't tell if it's sod or fine rubble! I don't think all areas are the same. You can't really shove a spade deeper than the turf in most areas.

Nevertheless, I think we've both decided for easy maintenance's sake that gravel should go down instead and then work out what plants, rocks, features to put in afterwards. Probably the typical 10mm pea shingle will be used unless anyone has better options?

So my basic plan is to:
  1. Spray the area with strong weed killer (maybe not essential but just to make it easier when the time comes).
  2. Remove the turf and compact the ground a bit. I think the garden is at a slight slant but would that cause any problems putting down gravel?
  3. Whack in a border around the tree.
  4. Put down weed membrane.
  5. Split the gravel bags open and spread it around.
Is that basically it or am I heading towards a disaster?
Does there need to be some kind of separation between the paving slabs and gravel? They'll be level with each other.

That all said, if you can think of better alternative that doesn't require anything technical and around the same budget then please let me know.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
If it's a new build, there is every likelihood of a restriction in the form of a covenant placed on the outsides of the houses, on what can and can't be done there. Much simpler: mow it to death, apply weed and feed, keep repeating, do the tree border and keep on top of it. Keep it very short and you'll hide the weeds till the weed and feed works.

Gravel: if determined, go down a bit and make sure it's well contained. A single chipping can turn an ankle, and where there's blame there's a claim! Defo for the membrane.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll get her to check for any restrictions and warn her about being sued if that's a real possibility, I'm sure there's plenty of opportunists around as well.

'Keeping on top of it' might be an issue as that's the reason for going with gravel - little maintenance.

That said, I think if she becomes more knowledgeable on how to maintain it then she would probably make the effort in her busy life.

Being sued is very unlikely I suppose, but she can do without having a nice tidy up done, only to have the developer/busybody come and make demands. Are they still building the estate? Get on to the site office manager, see if he knows.

Sponsored Links
If she likes the gravel then go for it, but imo having a small patch of grass is "low maintenance" , would take only take a few minutes to cut that, maybe 10 times a year

We had gravel (a lot) at the front of our house when I was a kid. My dad spent an hour every Sunday evening raking it. Weeds still grow so need to be disturbed and wither

I
. A single chipping can turn an ankle, and where there's blame there's a claim! Defo for the membrane.
A 20mm pebble has had me over - but I have got a floppy foot from a bike accident.

If using gravel of any size I'd suggest using a gravel grate. Basically a honeycombed plastic frame which helps contain the gravel where it's supposed to stay.
You do need to get shut of the greenery first. Successive mowing from a first high to a medium setting after a week and then the lowest setting a week later followed by a good dosing of weed killer will get them under control. Finish off with a double layer of good quality weed control matting, lay the gravel gates, spread the gravel evenly and then forget about it. Check for the odd weed, which will invariably appear from windblown seeds and germinate in any 'dust' that settles between the gravel, and use weed killer to kill them. Pulling them out may leave a bit of root and they will just grow again shortly afterwards.
Initial expense and work may seem a bit excessive but the end result is very low maintenance and you can use pots/planters for decoration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back