Garden gate at an angle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I was hoping someone could help. We had a new patio and garden shed built, sadly before it could all be completed our builder dissapeared. We are finishing off ourselves and have purchased a standard size garden gate to finish it off. Hopefully the photos and diagram I attached will help me to explain.
There is already a post attached to the house as indicated on the diagram (not to scale) - to enable fixing of hinge to the inside of the gate to allow it too open inwards to site against the house I think I need a cranked hinge but I’m struggling to find one that I think would work.
If I use a “cranked hook plate” hinge can I reverse it so it “curves around the gate”????
Any suggestions please
IMG_0420.jpeg
IMG_0414.jpegIMG_0413.jpegIMG_0412.jpeg
IMG_0411.jpeg

Sponsored Links
you need the hinge on the back off the gate as any hinge on the face will only open to around 110% ish
strait hinge will work but the post needs to be in the normal at end off [side off]gate for simplicity
you can overcomplicate and use hinges in other positions or faces but you then get swing and gate position when closed and open with unusual angles and clearances that may or may not be a problem

Looks more like a fence panel than a gate to be. If there isn't a diagonal brace on the back, don't use it as a gate; it will collapse

For hinges a hook and band cranked one should allow you a 180 degree swing that tucks the gate against the wall when fully open and hold it at an angle that makes it look more straight when closed.

Don't fixate on buying a standard size gate that is unsuitable; gates are every easy to make

I have tried making a gate in the past to no avail - it failed pretty quickly just lucky I didn’t need to open it - this gate needs to be used often.. This is a gate - it has the cross braces etc on the other side - purchased to “blend” with the shed.
I have always been taught that a gate should “open inwards” so you push it closed against intruders - but I’m thinking it’s a 5ft gate so that’s probably null and void so think I’ll just attach the gate to the shed on the “outside” and use a standard T hinge

Sponsored Links
I have always been taught that a gate should “open inwards” so you push it closed against intruders - but I’m
strange logic in my eyes
anything that opens inwards relies on the hinge and lock as the weak points rather than the frame and posts you can kick a gate or door in far far easier if its inward opening
and good luck having enough strength to push a gate and someone just passively standing there never mind actively fighting you

Not saying what I have always be taught is correct but when you’ve been told it from a child it’s hard to shake the idea. Thank you for your negativity

Odd post from big all there, I don't think the OP is expecting to fight off intruders merely trying to secure their property, as the gate is 5ft tall how it opens is irrelevant and unless it's been built with security in mind it really won't make much difference so do what works best for you.

Odd post from big all there, I don't think the OP is expecting to fight off intruders merely trying to secure their property, as the gate is 5ft tall how it opens is irrelevant and unless it's been built with security in mind it really won't make much difference so do what works best for you.
its more to point out "why "folk lore and ideas need to be thought through hence the reasons added ;)

One thing to consider is that a burglar has to break something to get in it becomes "breaking and entering", which carries a bigger max sentence than trespass. so a 5' fence could be scaled by someone fit, but if it breaks when they do so the penalty is higher... Also a 16-20 stone man pushing against a gate is not going to be closed if the person pushing the gate shut is 10 stone. It is more about the penalty in law being higher if they do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back