Installing a garden gate opening onto a slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to install a small garden gate onto a path running down the side of my house. The path slopes upwards - so i need to somehow raise the gate when its opened. Can you get some special hinges to do this? Is it possible to angle t hinges to do this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a rising butt hinge. If it's only a small gate, they should be able to take the weight whilst raising the gate upwards as it opens.

Not sure of the gradient at your property, but that's the approach I've seen people take before.

Sponsored Links
You can get rising gate hinges but they're not cheap. You could fit normal hinges at an angle, but that's not ideal, and the gate would probably need to be tied back when open.

Assuming there's not space to open downhill?
And it wouldn't be suitable to fit the gate with a gap at the bottom to allow it to clear the slope?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back