Garden gate key lock, acessible both sides. Suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 6' fence and a matching garden gate. The lock on it is knackered, and I want to replace it preferably with a proper 'door' lock with the ability to unlock it from either side (eg our kids accessing back-garden shed with bikes, from the driveway).

There is no depth to recess a lock into the wood, being lapped planks so it'd have to sit proud on the inside with a keyhole cut through to the outside.

Any reasonably economical ideas? I am thinking £20!

Sponsored Links
Thermo, do you have to provide any weather protection or do you accept that it will rust in time? Can you improve its life span by squirting oil into its innards?

Sponsored Links
the trouble with using interior lock is the movement is far greater on an exteriour wooden gate [dependant on size and construction] so when set up for the winter there wont be much gripping in the summer so needs adjusting twice a year or face the risk off being easily kicked in in the hot summer

Ive fitted them for customers and i have one on my own closeboard gate, that takes the brunt of coastal winds. Apart from one squirt of oil over the past 5 years theres never been a problem.

Its fitted with a suffolk latch and a bolt as well, but i have never had to adjust it, nor adjust one for any of my customers. that said we do use decent gates, but its never been a problem. From a security point of view if someone wants to get past it, theyll climb it not kick it in.

yep full agree a single gate up to 4ft is very unlikley to be a problem
its more old double gates that sag and shrink with the weather :D ;)

Also consider glueing/screwing additional timber to the gate (closing edge) to enable a mortice lock to be fitted.

I also have a Yale latch fitted to my gate and never had a problem with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back