Garden ground lights off existing wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title, if I want to add some garden ground lighting, like bollard lights, am I able to run off the existing wall lights?

I have four small LED wall lights and was thinking I could extend that to add four LED bollard lights.

Sponsored Links
As per the title, if I want to add some garden ground lighting, like bollard lights, am I able to run off the existing wall lights? I have four small LED wall lights and was thinking I could extend that to add four LED bollard lights.
Do I take it that these are 'mains' wall lights, rather than 12V ones? If not, then most of the following does not apply directly.

If you literally did what you say (and only that), the outside lights would be on whenever the wall lights were on and off whenever the wall lights were off. Is that what you want?

It would certainly be desirable to include a (double pole) switch in the feed to the outside lights. Such things are prone to be affected by water, resulting in RCDs tripping - so it's a very good idea to have a switch which allows you to isolate the outside lights (and hence have light indoors!) should that happen! Whether or not you could arrange things so that you could have the outside lights on when the wall lights were not on would depend on what wiring exists at the wall lights.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, that would pretty much be the intention so the whole garden lights up together when you flick one switch.

My plan was to extend the circuit and put an external RCD (Or double pole switch) in before the cable goes into the ground for the reasons you mentioned. So essentially I could have all the lights on together, or just the wall light on their own, but the bollard lights could never be on without the wall lights.

Yes, that would pretty much be the intention so the whole garden lights up together when you flick one switch.
Fair enough.
My plan was to extend the circuit and put an external RCD (Or double pole switch) ....
If the lighting circuit is already RCD-protected, there's nothing really to be gained by adding a second one - in the case of a outdoor fault (e.g. due to water) there would be no telling whether one RCD, the other, or both would trip. So, if the circuit is already RCD-protected, I would suggest just a DP switch.
... in before the cable goes into the ground for the reasons you mentioned.
What sort of cable were you planning to bury, and how (if at all) 'protected'?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
What sort of cable were you planning to bury, and how (if at all) 'protected'?
Presumably it has to be SWA doesn't it? The landscapers will be responsible for laying it so not sure what extra protection they will add.

I see your point on the DP switch.

Presumably it has to be SWA doesn't it? The landscapers will be responsible for laying it so not sure what extra protection they will add.
OK. If it's SWA, it will not need any additional protection - it can be buried directly in the ground. Make sure that it's buried deep enough and ideal with a warning tape about six inches above it. Are you familiar with the technique for dealing with the ends of SWA, or will you perhaps be getting someone else to deal with that? Whether you will be able to terminate SWA directly into bollard lights depends upon the bollard lights!

Kind Regards, John

I've done a lot of internal wiring but very little external and only used SWA once so whether I did it right or wrong I'm always happy to listen to advice from anyone who has the time to share it.

I've done a lot of internal wiring but very little external and only used SWA once so whether I did it right or wrong I'm always happy to listen to advice from anyone who has the time to share it.
If the link works, this might help you .... (click here) .

As I said, you may or may not be able to terminate SWA directs into your bollards. At the house end, you'll presumably need some sort of weather-resistant box outside, in which to terminate the house end of the SWA and interface it with the house wiring.

Kind Regards, John

Genuinely thank you. There are a few too many people on here that forget this is a DIY site and people are after useful advice.

Genuinely thank you.
You're very welcome.
There are a few too many people on here that forget this is a DIY site and people are after useful advice.
Fortunately there are only a few. However, I don't think they 'forget' - on the contrary, it is probably because they know that they are dealing with 'DIYers' that a few act/behave as they do.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back