Garden Levelling next to pavement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have read a lot on these forums and found the responses very helpful in the past however on this occasion I can not find anything on this.

I have a garden which is split up by an old garage, roughly 1/3 of my garden between the house and the garage then the garage covers 1/3 and the other 1/3 is behind the garage and is forgotten about.

We want to remove the garage (simple) and open the garden up so it is one space. I would like to build decking to cover where the garage currently stands and the area behind the garage. However the ground raises about 2 feet from the edge of the garage to the pavement.

So I have started to dig out the garden to try and bring the level as close to that of the garage concrete base as possible. I have hit a snag, the concrete that is holding the pavement edging in bulges into my land almost a foot. I am wanting to have a new fence put in so from the deck I will see 2 feet of gravel boards up to the level of the pavement and 5" of fence from the pavement.

Now at the moment I have big lumps of concrete holding the pavement together in the way of the fencing I want to put in as i do not want to loose a foot all around my boarder.

I have thought of a few possible solutions but I am not sure which are viable so would appreciate your input.

1 - Remove the concrete bulges and put the fence in with the gravel boards and infill between the gravel boards and pavement with gravel.
2 - Remove the concrete bulges and put the fence posts in and then between the posts build a retaining wall with concrete bricks and infill between the wall and pavement with concrete before putting the fence panels in.
3 - Remove the concrete bulges and screen off the boarder with timber and place the fence posts and pour full of concrete to set the fence posts and effectively make a retaining concrete block.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It's hard to give advice without some pictures .

Will you be retaining a full 2 feet?

Hi, thanks for your reply, please see these pictures which i hope help.

Picture of the rear garden area

Picture of the concrete bulges in the high corner

The pavement goes up in the corner more than across the rest of the garden so at the highest point it will have to be retained roughly two feet.

If the pavement you refer to is part of the public highway, the maximum permitted fence height without Planning Permisssion is 1m.

Sponsored Links
If the pavement you refer to is part of the public highway, the maximum permitted fence height without Planning Permisssion is 1m.

Thanks for the info.

How is a public highway defined as my rear garden where the pictures has been taken backs onto a gravel area which is just off the road. Does this make any difference?

The reason I ask is because I would have hoped at least one of the three 3 companies I have got quotes from for erecting the fence would have said something. Or would they just assume I already had planning permission?

EDIT: Also our neighbour already has a roughly 6 foot high fence which ours would be following on from, does this make any difference.

Okay no worries thanks for your input I will look into PP as a separate issues. Going back to the original question do you know the best way to support the pavement once I dig out and remove the concrete bulges currently supporting it?

PP is the responsibilty of the home owner not the contractor. But yes it should be pointed out by a contractor.

Generally speaking if it doesn't cause any harm to anyone and therefore no one complains then go for it. The council certainly won't be round to enforce it.

As for the kerbs, the bulge you describe is the haunching to stop the kerbs shifting side ways and the pavement sinking. Removing it may unsettle the kerbs if you just smash it.

Ideally leave a couple of inches of it in place by cutting off the excess. As for retaining the area concrete gravel boards would be ideal although they don't go round a curve very well so a small masonary wall would be better but a lot more work.

Fill any gap between the kerbs and gravel boards/wall with a lean mix concrete. Something like

6 gravel
3 sand
1 cement

This will form a solid chunk to stop the kerbs moving and relieve pressure on your gravel boards but won't be too bad should it ever need broken out.

This is assuming the pavement falls away from your gravel boards and there is not a lot of water draining into this area.

Thanks r896neo exactly what I was hoping for. Do you have any suggestions of how to trim the concrete? I fear if I use a chisel it will just break the lot off from the pavement anyway. The only thought I had was to borrow a angle grinder but don't know how practice this is?

ideally cut it with a stihl saw or angle grinder.

You can break it with a chisel but may unsettle the kerbs as the bedding and haunching will all be one solid lump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back