Garden levelling, retaining walls and patio

Just seen this and have to say hats off to OP - really impressive job!

Sponsored Links
came across your post researching doing something similar. it is very impressive.
can I ask what is between the house and new patio ...I cant quite tell on picture...is it just an air gap with previous old patio at base?
if so, does it fill up with leaves, dirt and other stuff blowing around?

came across your post researching doing something similar. it is very impressive.
can I ask what is between the house and new patio ...I cant quite tell on picture...is it just an air gap with previous old patio at base?
if so, does it fill up with leaves, dirt and other stuff blowing around?
Hi Robin. Indeed it is literally an air gap about 5 inches wide and yes the old patio at the base. I ensured the patio slopes away from the house, so the only rainwater is essentially from the house wall - it drains really without problem. I had initially planned to watch and ensure the drainage was OK and after a couple of months fill the void with pebbles, but to be honest the gap is not noticed at all, and I can visually check it any time. In truth I probably only get a couple of handfuls of crud out when I clear it every 3 or 4 years. Some believe filling the void with stones just leads to more crud gathering at the bottom, and I'd certainly not be inclined to empty it all out just to check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back