Tie-ing into existing retaining wall and other wall questions..

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I have a stone wall retaining the land at the back of my house before stepping down into the garden. A structural engineer has said while it's fairly solid there's a little bulge and he'd like to see some re-enforcement of it and advised building a wall at 90 degrees to the retaining wall.
I've decided to make the best of this and build to walls parrallel with each other against it.They are to be infilled and become a ramp down to the garden. I'm wanting to build a little out-house at the bottom of the garden so access for mini digger/barrows will be really useful.

Question 1- I'm wanting to tie the dense concrete blocks I'm using into the joints of the stone wall however the course will never match - I was looking at using these https://www.bricklayersmate.com/ancon-staifix-starter-tie-3354-p.asp
does anyone know if they will be up to the job or are they to be reserved only for brick?

Question 2 - what would be best to fill the ramp with? I essentially have two 6m sloping walls 2metres apart, starting at 1.6m trailing down to the ground that need infill in between. I want it to be strong enough to take a vehicle if necessary... In my mind I thought rock then hardcore to gravel topped with patio slabs?

Sponsored Links
monsieurdiy, good evening.

Your description of what you are intending is really good.

Can I suggest you consider using dense blocks, but laid on their flat sides? this will provide a firm solid wall.

As for how to "tie" this new wall to the existing? have a look @ https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-wall-starter-kit-stainless-steel/56037?

If you fix two such starters to each new wall then you will have a good solid tie in from new to old.

As for the infill, I would use Type 1, or a good clean Hardcore, with a 100.mm. gravel, then 50.mm Sand and thick pressed paving slabs.

Ken.

Hi Ken

Thanks a lot for this, I'll go with that. I've got some much larger rock,stone and broken bricks and flagstone I was going to put at the bootom as it's quite an expanse and the less type1 I have to buy in the better.
That's a thought I was planning on using dense & hollow (the figure of 8 type) blocks with a bit of rebar tie-ing the foundations vertically in a couple of points - what do you think to that?

Because the wall is stone and uneven with a bit of a bulge in it that stainles starter kit would take quite a bit of cutting out of stone to get plumb. If it's a much better tie, that's not off the cards though

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back