Garden levelling, retaining walls and patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our back garden was only useable for sledging by the kids in winter. We decided to place a larger/higher patio by the house, then a retaining wall with steps, a flat lawn, and banking up the sides and back to the fences.
After getting quotes of around £12k I decided to take on my first ever DIY project, so here is our progress so far:
Before:
Started with concrete foundations and the block retaining wall (Super easy like Lego once the first course is laid and level):
Built a low wall 200mm out from the house as we're raising the patio to door threshold height (it'll reduce the height difference to the back of the garden, and also provide somewhere to put some of the earth from the top). The 200mm gap means the DPC on the house isn't compromised, and I've place guttering in the gap to drain any rainwater to the downpipes;
Ran drainage pipes from field drains behind the retaining wall, and for drainage channels that will sit in front of it:
After a friend with a 5 ton digger had removed 60 tons and levelled/redistributed the rest:
Just received a dump of stone with which I hope to create a dry stone wall at the base of the bank at the back (some of the blocks are huge and I'm not sure how that part of the project is going to go!):
Next a new back fence, lay the patio, build the steps & drainage channel. Knackered, but the beer tastes better after a day's labour! Watch this space...

Sponsored Links
Lots of work - but the result is good, you'r doing a proper job

Thankfully I had some help laying the patio, which is nearly finished here. I duct taped over the drainage channel to prevent crud falling and and blocking them. Just a few final pieces to cut, finish the sand jointing, and fit coping to the wall. Then the good lady can order her patio furniture and supervise me from comfort while I tackle the pile of rubble at the back and attempt to grow a lawn...

Hard work nearly over and time to actually grow something... 2 foot high dry stone retaining wall at the back, above which I'll be using all that spare stone to build a sloping rockery up to the fence. Just sowed grass seed on the right hand bank, and still to level and sow the rest of the lawn, but at least her majesty can watch in comfort!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. The back wall is sandstone from a demolished railway bridge, and the front one is Tobermore Secura Lite - brilliantly simple to build.

You have my utmost admiration - this goes to prove we do not need flaming 'tickets' for everything we are capable of doing. I take my hat off to you !

Having left it for the winter, I'm back in the garden to finish off the project with a rock garden at the back fence. The lawn seed has taken nicely and the kids are delighted to finally be able to play football on it!
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG

amazing work, how much savings do you think you made?
Thanks. I guess I saved about 25%/£3k though the spec evolved and choice of paving/wall materials improved. Although I spent every weekend on it for a number of months, it was time well spent and good physical exercise. Best recommendations for anyone thinking of doing likewise: don't hire plant (I bought a mixer & wacker from Gumtree then sold both for the same money when I'd finished), use pavingexpert.com and the DIYnot forums, stock the fridge with beer, and go for it (beer tastes better when feeling a sense of achievement :))

amazing work, how much savings do you think you made?
Thanks. I guess I saved about 25%/£3k though the spec evolved and choice of paving/wall materials improved. Although I spent every weekend on it for a number of months, it was time well spent and good physical exercise. Best recommendations for anyone thinking of doing likewise: don't hire plant (I bought a mixer & wacker from Gumtree then sold both for the same money when I'd finished), use pavingexpert.com and the DIYnot forums, stock the fridge with beer, and go for it (beer tastes better when feeling a sense of achievement :))

Looks fantastic well done.

Glad a certain forum member hasn't commented yet as he's slated me for doing my own work on my house and not employing builders o_O
If he does, you'll know who it is as he cant get his head out of the last recession :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, impressive work and now it's time to sit back and relax in time for the summer :D

That looks great!! Are the Tobermore stones also layed dry?

Did you do lots of compacting behind the wall?

Sorry Ian - just seen your post. Yes the Tobermore is layed dry (other brands are available). Theoretically if we move home I could dismantle it and take it with me :D
Dropped a load of soil in behind the wall (with 6" of pea gravel immediately behind the wall to aid drainage). Didn't consciously compact it (though the digger went across while working). Probably settled just an inch or so in the 3 years since, but can easily buy a ton bag of sand or topsoil if I ever feel it necessary to build it up and re-level the peaks and troughs of the lawn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back