garden lighting cable

J

jeepster

hi all, move into this house 2 years ago, been sorting out the inside now going to sort out the garden.

anyhow,

outside we have 4 pir controlled lights, 3 aer attached to the garage and just plug into 13amp sockets.

the fourth is a reall beauty, its apir controlled lamp thats connect to the garage by an exstension lead beuried about 3inches below the soil.

even better ( or worse) is that the lamp is attached to about 4ft of flex with a plug on the end and that plugs into the end of the lead. this is then wrapped up and protected inside a carrier bag. i unplugged this when we moved in.

so simple question.

firstly - what would it cost to have a small consumer unit attached to the main consumer unit just for the outside lights. i want this located in the garage. this must be able to safely connect at least 4 pir lamps with 300w bulbs.

in am in derbyshire.

secondly - its about 20 metres from the garage to the one lamp thats not attached to the garage, what size armoured cable would you use.

apologies for the non techno speak

cheers

Sponsored Links
As you are looking at notifiable work and you do not sound too competant I would get the whole lot done by a competant electrican and let him worry about cable size etc.
As for cost - who knows but I'd expect to pay at least a couple of hundred pounds, probably more....

As you are looking at notifiable work and you do not sound too competant I would get the whole lot done by a competant electrican and let him worry about cable size etc.
As for cost - who knows but I'd expect to pay at least a couple of hundred pounds, probably more....

hi there

i will get the extra box put into the garage by an electrician but i cant see thepoint in paying an electrician £30 an hour to dig a hole along the side of my fence.

re the cable is that a dont know

Sponsored Links
You can dig the trenches to save money, but let the sparky run the cables in, connect up and test.Yes I do know what cable I would use but your electrician might see the need for a different size depending on conditions, that is why I said let him worry about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back