Garden Lighting, FCU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I currently have a double socket in my garden - it's an MK MasterSeal one, and is supplied from a dedicated 16A MCB on the RCD side of the CU.

I want to install some garden lighting, and I want to permanent wire it, not plug it in.

So, I want to spur from the socket.

What is the standard way of doing this? It'll need an FCU with an IPx6 rating presumably? What product will be right?

Thanks for the help

slip

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that a Masterseal FCU would be the best product, as it'll match the socket. (I'm assuming that they will be next to each other?)

You do know that both the lighting and the FCU are notifiable jobs....

Don't you think of SFCU for isolating purposes...?

I would have thought that a Masterseal FCU would be the best product, as it'll match the socket. (I'm assuming that they will be next to each other?)

Sounds ideal, I wasn't aware that they did one (I looked on TLC but didn't find it).

You do know that both the lighting and the FCU are notifiable jobs....

Yes, I do. I rewired my house under part P via the Building notice route. It was a total hassle w.r.t. my building control, but I got there in the end.

Obviously, for this relatively minor extension to the wiring i'm planning on paying another ~£200 tax for a building notice and going through the same hoops, hurdles and hassles as before. I would not dream of doing it any other way. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Don't you think of SFCU for isolating purposes...?

You mean use SFCU for protection, isolation and switching? Would be viable except that SWMBO wants two lights, independently switched. So the best way seems to be FCU + 2 gang switch.

Sounds ideal, I wasn't aware that they did one
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/product...scription=CONNECTION+UNIT+13+AMP&rangeid=1031

Obviously, for this relatively minor extension to the wiring i'm planning on paying another ~£200 tax for a building notice and going through the same hoops, hurdles and hassles as before. I would not dream of doing it any other way. :rolleyes:
Good for you, because having done the rewire you'll never be able to plead ignorance, and as the rewire and associated documentation was all officially done you'll never be able to disguise the fact that this work was done afterwards... :confused:

You mean use SFCU for protection, isolation and switching? Would be viable except that SWMBO wants two lights, independently switched. So the best way seems to be FCU + 2 gang switch.
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid=4436&rangeid=1031

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid=4435&rangeid=1031

Any will be good, i did not see that switches where mentioned, only that the intention is to make a permanent connections using FCO, so you need to turn it off form somewhere easy to access... using a SFCU would be the nearest to the original idea. But as I missed the switches it is not relevant...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back