Garden lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just thinking out loud - I'm thinking of putting in a decked area in my garden this summer and am thinking of also installing decking lights.

Now must these be hardwired into the house's consumer unit or is it permissable under law to basically wire these to a plug and plug them into a standard household socket?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I do live in England and so this would apply to me. Would it maybe be cheaper to just call in an electrician who can do the work and self certify it? - Does the electrician also have to inform the local council of the work that he/she has carried out?

Thanks for that, I do live in England and so this would apply to me. Would it maybe be cheaper to just call in an electrician who can do the work and self certify it? - Does the electrician also have to inform the local council of the work that he/she has carried out?

Yes, and yes.
For small jobs like this it cheaper to use a sparky. Councils will carge a couple of hundred notes, just for pushing the paper around.

Your electrician must be a member of one of the Part P "schemes" and will probably be listed here www.competentperson.co.uk
He/she looks after all the paperwork for you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back