Garden lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im thinking of lighting my garden with some dusk till dawn lights. I have 1 socket and 1 junction box already outside you know the grey MK ones. I need wire that can just be fastened to a brick wall and run around the garden to the point where i need my lights.

Is this the correct way of doing this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you are unsure of your abilities, it might be best to consider fitting them as a plug-in 'applience'.

Otherwise the dreaded part P raises its head !
In any case I recommend RCD protection, and making sure that any fittings used are intended for this purpose. Low voltage units might well be best.

I intend to do them myself I have some knowledge on electrics etc and the wife will be standing by with the broom to remove me from the national grid.

Only kidding soz

Its only going to be one or two mains lights with the option of adding more later. I have a sparky friend who can check it all once its done.

Sponsored Links
It is classed as notifiable work - garden lighting installations are specifically excluded from the list of work that does not need to be notified to your local Building Control dept. So as you'd be doing it, not a registered electrician, you'd have to notify them in advance via a Building Notice, just as you would if you were putting up an extension.

You can read the full details here: Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004

The reason for asking you is that you might want to comply, not because anybody here is going to rat on you, or you might at least want your lawbreaking to be a conscious decision, not a mistake.

If you do want to comply, then it will almost certainly be cheaper to get an electrician to do the work, rather than you doing and paying the LABC fees.

If you don't then the chances of you getting caught are pretty small, IMO, but you must make that determination for yourself. For all I know your next door neighbour is a building inspector for the council and he's just found out that you've been fiddling with his wife...

slippyr4 said:
everyone seems to have a sparky friend.
I haven't. I haven't got any friends at all, which is why I read this forum for company... :(

Cheers,

Howard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back