Garden Lighting (Select a Light)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello not been on here for a bit.

I am looking to light up my garden with the low voltage "Select a Light" garden lighting system. You buy each part separately then add more lights if needed to the existing wiring up to the maximum of your transformer.

I already have outside one of those MK boxes that feeds 2 outside halogen lights in this box there are 2 spaces for more lighting. The transformers for the lighting system are for indoor use and have a plug on. Could I buy one of those outside weatherproof boxes to put the transformer in then remove the plug and wire it into the MK box?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can you post pics of the kit so we can see what you mean?

Not bought it yet but they sell all the stuff at B&Q.

The box I have outside is an MK junction box that connects to 2 lights.

I will try to post a pic

Sponsored Links
yes you can, so long as its one of the grey adapatable boxes with 4 big screws on

Do you meen the new weatherproof box I have not bought yet or my existing MK junction boxes?

Thanks. :D

Here is my existing setup, hope the pic isnt too big.

03052007051.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

So I have got this straight

I go out and buy one of those "select a light" systems with a transformer complete with 13 amp plug.

I cut the plug off and wire it to my existing MK junction box (What if there is no Earth?)

I then fix the weather proof box (Breezers pic) to the wall and put my transformer in it. (What make are the ones in the pic please?

I then run the wire of the low voltage lights plus dusk till dawn sensor round the garden.

Do these boxes suffer from condensation over time?

Thanks for all your replies (And patience) so far.

Con1_uk :D

they are not supposed to have condensation probs, but they do.

dont worry abou tthe earth :eek:

select a light transformers are double insulated and dont have one

the boxes are available from sainsburys

Yea the floodlight is on the ground floor extension so it cant go any further up the wall.

The switch is there because my Mum and Dad set fire to the French door one night when they was babysitting for us. The door opens straight on to it and they always go in the garden to smoke.

We had been to the pub watching England V France in Euro 2004 I was gutted because we lost in the last minutes then I got home to find Mum and Dad smoldering with pans full of water.........

Hello still ain't got around to doing this job yet but it will soon be happening.

I was having a read through what was said and I need to clear up something

There will be about 4 ft between the MK exisiting 4 way junction box for my lights and the new weather proof box I have yet to buy.

What cable should I use to connect one to the other? Is the mains cord which is supplied with the transformer ok or should I run some other cable so I can have a 4 way extension in the weather proof box?

Will the transformer be ok connecting to the junction box as its on the lighting circuit?

Thanks. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back