A few outdoor lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want some mains wired outdoor lights you know the type like the ones in B&Q where you buy the Transformer, wire, and lights seperatly then you can add to it later.

The transformer has a 3 pin plug on the end but I dont want to run cables everywhere.

I do have an MK outdoor 4 way junction box feeding 2 outdoor PIR lights (one is also on a MK outdoor switch).

Is there any way of connecting to this junction box for the outdoor lights? The "Helpfull" chap at B&Q said it would be ok to cut the plug off and wire it into the junction box. I think this will be dangerous because there will be no fuse.

What is the best way please?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
lets see.

you want mains lights that you have a transformer with that you can add to later?

are they not called select a lights?

what is protecting the out door jb?

Sponsored Links
yes and no

it helps that its on a 5 or 6 A fuse / mcb

trouble is now you want to put something that has mains to it (the transformer) out side, it should be plugged in to a socket that has rcd protection, which is probably why it has a plug fitted

I think the transformer is designed for outside.

Could i wire an outside socked to the junction boxs if its used just for lighting.

Yea they are called select a lights.

Thanks.

Sorry the transformer does have to go inside but the sell an outdoor box where you can house it all.

Just need to see if it is safe to do this now please? Or other options if possible.

Thanks for your help so far.

well as the transformer has to go inside why not just pugi it in, you could even be swish and plug it into a timer first

We have no sockets close by and I dont want to trial cables everywhere (lamenate floors ETC). The outdoor MK box is in the perfect position to run the cables from.

Sorry

I do want to do the safe thing im just looking into the different options.

I have seen the outdoor boxes for sale which will house a 3 pin plug will this be safe?

We do have an outdoor socket could I do somthing with this?

I have plugged outdoor lights into this socket before but is it safe to do this as a permenant thing? Also the lights I used in that socked had a standard 3 pin plug on where some lights have the big power supply fitted and you cant close the lid.

Sorry I forgot to tell you about the outdoor socket could this be used in my plan?

Thanks.

there are out door sockets and out door sockets

some can have a plug plugged in and be shut (rain proof) can yours?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back