Part P and a garden light - do I need an Electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on extending a current garage lighting circuit that puts on 3 LED lights from dusk till dawn.
I want to light a silver birch at the bottom of the garden (using a 3W LED bulb) so i'm planning on running 40m of 1.5mm SWA back into the garage for this job. Would I need part P approval? I'd terminate the cable on the outside of the garage with a galvanised metal conduit and suitable gland, then link into the current circuit from there

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need to comply with Part P, but the work isn't notifiable.

I'd terminate the cable on the outside of the garage with a galvanised metal conduit
What do you mean by that?

And how will you terminate the armoured cable at the light?

Sponsored Links
So you've already got conduit in place, and the end is already threaded?

I'm not sure you're describing what you already have, and what you plan to install, properly.

Galvanised conduit:

CO20G.JPG

does it need to be earthed at both ends?
It's good practice, but you aren't using it as the earth for the circuit, so it's not essential. But you'll need to terminate it at the other end - how were you thinking of doing that? Will the light accept a SWA gland?

I'm probably not explaining it the best.

Starting from the tree:
ae235

into this
ae235

into SWA cable,
into this:
ae235

and finally into this:
ae235

Is that able to accept the size your SWA cable is?

Yes, a 20mm SWA gland will screw into one of those, so the cores from it go into the box. And then......? What do they connect to? Where does what they connect to come from, how do they get into the box, and what connectors will you use?

How will you waterproof it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back