Garden lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I asked a question here a while ago about garden lights, I've now got an electrician in doing them and just wanted to double check what he's doing.

The electrician connected the lights up but on some of them, the live cable was screwed into the top of the light fitting and on some of the lights, it was connected to the bottom of the light fitting.

I asked him about this and he said it was ok, it didn't matter which way round the live and neutral go on light fittings as either way the filament will light up - is this correct?

I'd rather just nip things in the bud while the electrician is still here than call him back later on? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Almost all domestic lamps with the exception of some DC operated LED products can be wired either way round and will work...

However, some types of light fitting must be wired a specific way round for safety reasons, those containing Edison screw lamps for example must be wired with the centre contact live and the outer contact neutral and any light with an integral switch must be wired so the switch is in the live cable. If the lights in question are standard bayonet cap units then there is not a problem.

E2A: Modern, all-plastic ES lampholders approved to a certain standard which I can't remember the number of offhand may be wired either way round too.

When you say top and bottom, do you mean where the cable goes into the light fitting??

Thanks for that - the bulbs are screwed into the holders and have the larger screw fitting.

The fittings aren't actually labelled either though so not sure if that makes any difference? I know the B&Q type lights have a L and a N marking on their fittings but these ones don't?

There is no light switch on them either.

When you say top and bottom, do you mean where the cable goes into the light fitting?? - yes that's right, I mean where the cables go into the fitting. The top contact is connected to the side of the bulb and the bottom contact is connected to the end of the bulb by the look of it.

Should I ask the electrician to change these over? as he should be over on Monday to finish off or are these okay? Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Should I ask the electrician to change these over? as he should be over on Monday to finish off or are these okay? Thanks again.
It is your electricians responsibility to correctly fit, test and energise this circuit and its component parts.
Let him get on with it.
Glad to see I'm not the only electrician working on Monday! ;)

It is your electricians responsibility to correctly fit, test and energise this circuit and its component parts.
Let him get on with it.
Glad to see I'm not the only electrician working on Monday! ;)

Fair enough - should I look out for anything when he finishes off though? The last thing I want is for it to all work while he's there and then something goes dangerously wrong in a few weeks or so.

I get what you mean but I've got kids who run around in the garden and if something's done wrong, I don't want anyone put in danger if you get what I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back