Garden maintenance

E

EddieM

Looking at winding down soon. So I plan to buy a small van and offer garden maintenance services. I have most of the tools to do this.. But lawnmower... Honda engined I feel. But which would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
If you can persuade your customers that taking grass cuttings away is a bad idea ( cost +aggravation) then buy a mulching mower that will fit in your van and not be too heavy to get in and out.
Honda mowers are not cheap but they do last.

Mike

If you can persuade your customers that taking grass cuttings away is a bad idea ( cost +aggravation) then buy a mulching mower that will fit in your van and not be too heavy to get in and out.
Honda mowers are not cheap but they do last.

Mike
A nice light mower that will pick up in the wet is Etesia. We find the british weather not really suited to mulching where mowing at a fixed regular fixed price can catch one out, also lots of people dont like clippings treading about.

One more vote for Honda......if the customer has a grass dump then great.....if they don't then you may have to take the clippings away ( which is a huge bore and expense) or let the clippings just lie on the grass.
A good strimmer is vital too, most of the time.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It looks like a good bit of kit, Eddie.....generalising I'd say that wheels are better than rollers for all types of lawn, bit it's just my opinion.

It looks like a good bit of kit, Eddie.....generalising I'd say that wheels are better than rollers for all types of lawn, bit it's just my opinion.

Yeah I get exactly where you are coming from. But if the customer wants stripes... ticks the boxes for me I feel.

Looked into a waste disposal licence. Not too bad but obviously has to be factored in any rate I would charge (i couldn't entertain the idea of fly tipping it) ... yeah I am starting to like this idea!

The average wheeled mower has a flap on the back that combs the grass to give a similar striped effect - or at least the Honda ones do!
I'd avoid taking the clippings away unless it's essential, purely on a time and running costs basis but again that's up to you. Maybe the local authority will do it, at the householders expense.
I can get loads of work doing similar stuff but folks can start moaning if the cutting is too frequent in high season .

Just another wee point.....my Berlingo van takes an average mower without swinging the handles down, which is a good point when you are choosing a vehicle.
However, I'm changing it for a Bipper which is a little smaller so I'll see how it fares.

I was actually thinking of a VW crafter. So much for a small van!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back