Garden Office Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I will be moving house in the next couple of months and i run 3 businesses at home (currently work from the living room)

I will be looking at a garden office and i have had lots of quotes ranging from 7k to 10k. We just do not have the kind of money and i really need to get the work out the house so we have decided it could be much cheaper if we build our own. We are looking at something around 4m x 3m or 5m x 4m, Does anyone have any suggestions of the most cost effective way to do this?

Regards

John

Sponsored Links
You'd be suprised at the cost once you total everything up. People assume that building their own shed will be cheaper and in reality the costs when buying in diy quantities you end up building the shed for maybe 20% less than you could buy it. The efficiency of pre fabbing things to a set design in a shed with all the right tools sitting ready to complete it make the labour component very low.

When you multiply these factors up to a higher spec building like a garden office the difference becomes more in your favour but perhaps not as much as you expect. So basically my advice is get the spec of one you would like and then work out exactly what you'll need and get a quote for it all. Then you can weight up what the potential savings versus the time and effort for you to build it is worth to you.

in general ready made will be about 40% cheaper
build your own wild tend to be better engineered rather than just enough
if you include tools and time in the cost you could be looking at double the cost without a decent "trade " discount

Sponsored Links
I've just purchased a LV Low clock house 5.5x4m

Came in at £2990

It has 44mm walls, I will insulate roof in time but floor straight away with 50 Celotex under 28mm tongue and groove. Has double glazing.

Will be using mine as a workshop/office might even put a small log burner in or an electric heater for winter.

Dimensions
  • Wall Profile: 44mm
  • Width: 5.5m
  • Depth: 4m
  • Wall footprint width: 5.35m
  • Wall footprint depth: 3.85m
  • Ridge height: Under 2.5m

• Also Included With This Log Cabin
  • Heavy Duty Mineral Felt.
  • 19mm Thick Tongue and Groove Roof Boards.
  • 28mm Thick Tongue and Groove Floor Boards.
  • Treated Floor Bearers.
  • 1 x Double Glazed Double Door.
  • 4 x Double Glazed Tilt and Turn Windows.
  • Removable Glazing Bars for a Contemporary Look.
  • Front canopy
  • FREE 5 litre tin of Wood Preserver

Here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back