Siting a patio in a garden without a straight edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
we have a very long but thin garden( 45m x 7m) that is in the process of being upgraded.
the house was built in 1865 and nothing is straight!
for a bit of background/ visualisation the area direct from the house is about 4m wide 8m long this is decked, this leads to a kitchen garden 4m x 4m with a path that leads the garden proper this will have trellis to act as a fence- this widens out to 7m.
We are hoping to put a 3m x 3m patio and summer house with the summerhouse being 5m x 2.5m with the long edge running down the right hand side of the garden front to back.
The patio runs in front of the summerhouse.
So( if you havent gored bored yet) the problem is the trellis is using the decking as a "straight line" from which it will be positioned.
I intended to do the same for the patio but when I did that the gap between the patio and fence was massively uneven ( about 20cm) and it was very obvious)
So Looked at doing it from the fence but it was obviously just as bad.

Any thoughts on best how to overcome this or is it just the way it is?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Think about planting shrubs or small trees between fence and patio to break up the uneven gap.

Blup

Could you not work a curve into the design which compensates for the gap?
I mean, start straight from one edge, curve out, then into the gap. Planting is a good idea but you'll have to work out which kind of plant will suit to avoid it growing over your patio.

Sponsored Links
I did think of staggering the steps as they are rectangular, but I think that would look a bit silly, not sure how i could put a curve on just one edge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back