Garden Office Build Thread- Start to finish with pics!

BAS- you must have known that I got an electrician in to do it- I referenced this 2 or 3 times previously.
At the time I posted I did not know that.

What you actually did was dig up a two month old post and try to catch me out on a technicality of semantics.
There you go again.

YOU have decided that I was trying to catch you out. and you have done so without there being a single thing in what I wrote which could justify that conclusion. It is a pure invention on your part, and one which you, and others, keep repeating in one form or another even though I have said more than once that it is not true, and that my words should be taken at face value, and nothing else.

Please do remember, it was you who had the audacity to question my intellect.
Yes, because of your utterly ridiculous inventions.

You provoked this.
So I wrote

As you will if it contains a consumer unit or any new electrical circuits.

and

So no notifiable electrical work then?

i.e. a perfectly civilly worded statement and a ditto question. But you decided to accuse me of attempting to belittle you, and that means I provoked the argument?

I concede that I did contribute to this farce by taking it upon myself to comprehensively prove that you were in no position to question any aspect of my intelligence.
Oh I see - so your behaviour, including the inept analysis, the accusations of trolling were hallmarks of an intelligent person, were they?

The inevitable conclusion of events was reached when I taught you a lesson and embarassed you for all of the forum to see (as you are aware, people have already commented on this- it's not just a construct, it's reality as others perceive it).
No you did not - you could not possibly do that because you have comprehensively demonstrated that your positions are based on desperately flawed analyses and laughably incorrect assumptions.

And the "reality" perceived by others is anything but. It's actually a fiction composed by people who flatly refuse to simply read the words I write, and only the words I write, and who insist that they mean something other than what they actually say and persist in doing so no matter how many times I tell them that they are wrong.

I take no personal pride in this victory
You have not achieved one.

and in fact wish I could have been big enough to have just ignored you instead of rising to your pointless challenge.
There was no challenge - there was just a perfectly civilly worded statement and a perfectly civilly worded question

After realising that you had initiated a battle of wits and were inadequately prepared for combat with the particular adversary you had chosen, you quickly changed tack and tried to turn yourself into the helpful victim who had been set upon for no apparent reason.
I was set upon for no apparent reason.

Can you show where the apparent reason which justified your accusations is in this:

As you will if it contains a consumer unit or any new electrical circuits.
So no notifiable electrical work then?

?

I'll ask you the same question I asked cajar - if there was a central or local government website or guide, which had a FAQ or similar about when Building Regulations approval would be needed for various projects, and in the context of outbuildings contained the line

You will need Building Regulations approval for a consumer unit or any new electrical circuits.

would you be complaining to the site or organisation about them belittling people?

Now, if you are not a troll (as you claim), for the utility of the forum, please just leave my thread alone and allow me to continue to chronicle my build in a constructive way.
If you think for one second that I will ever sit quietly by and let my integrity and honesty be impugned by people like you and your fellow travellers then that's another one of your delusions, and not sitting quietly by and saying nothing when people effectively call me a liar doesn't make me a troll.

I made a perfectly correct point about the Building Regulations, and I did so in perfectly acceptable terms. That it was not applicable to your particular build did not mean that it was not relevant to general advice on whether Building Regulations apply to outbuildings. Nor did it mean that I was trolling, trying to belittle you or trying to catch you out. It did not mean that I was being condescending and sarcastic. It did not mean that I was a c**k or an as****e.

All any of you had to do was to simply read just what I wrote and not decide that I actually meant something else.

Sponsored Links
Is this not emotionally draining? Let it go man.....everyone just let it go.

Surely there's better things to be doing on a nice sunny Saturday than this?

Hi,

just wanted to say very interesting thread, I don't think my other half let me have a "office" in garden with projector and games console though lol

Did you have a budget for the build and stick to it?

Hi Klunk, thanks for your interest.

My budget was £3.5K for the build initially.

I haven't done all the sums yet, however:

I have kept every single receipt and have calculated most of the payments. I still need to add up all of the small spends- (£20 and under) fixings, caulk, sand paper, hand tools etc.

I've got to get a builders skip for the clean up yet and a few bits and pieces such as deck stain and gloss for the internal joinery (last shop of the project at B&Q tomorrow).

When all's said and done, I think I'll be just shy of £4.5k- but that includes everything- build out, decking, surround sound, projector, screen, office furniture, bean bags etc. I also didn't initially budget for Underfloor heating and originally specced 50mm insulation then installed 120mm.

The £4.5k also includes the tools that I've acquired along the way as well- wheelbarrow, rip saw, compound mitre saw, tacwise nailer etc, various hand saws, trowels, paint rollers etc.

So when you factor in £150 for my drill, £200 for the mitre saw, £60 for the rip saw, £40 for the wheelbarrow and £700 for the A/V stuff, I'm technically quite a bit under my build budget.

In hindsight, I wish I'd spent a bit more and gone for Cedar rather than the redwood I clad it with and perhaps I shouldn't have scrimped by buying a patio door off ebay. These are two issues I can rectify later, anyway (already got my eye on a full length Bi-fold door :)).

I also had a bit of an issue with cheap laminate flooring that cost me about £100 in wasted materials.

I've still got quite a bit of materials left over to go towards my next project- converting the integral garage.

Think I've done pretty well from a financial standpoint.

BTW- the only reason the wife let me do this is she wanted my home office to turn into a nursery as we are planning our first child.

I believe that life (and marriage) is all about negotiation, so I saw my opportunity and took it.

Despite a lot of moaning about the state of the garden, she now loves my cinema....ahem, office and has even bought me a popcorn maker to go with it.

Sponsored Links
Nice shed, that, OP, but I did find you a bit of a wally in the argument phase. Still, enjoy your home cinema - envious.

Hi

Thanks for the reply hope you enjoy your new space you have done a really good job,

I know what you mean about a nursery i was planing turning our spare bedroom in to a games room pool table etc wife was all for it then found out few weeks ago she pregnant with twins so that out of window lol

Thanks for your comments on the shed Wabbitpoo.

I must admit I didn't cover myself in glory arguing like that- was just a bit annoyed because I'd been working on the thread for 3 months.

You're entitled to that opinion of me, based on what I've posted.

Finally finished the bulk of the internal work and have moved in for good now!

Had a movie premiere to celebrate- Heat (Pacino and De Niro are awesome in this) followed by Gravity on Bluray- really impressed with the A/V stuff's performance.

Architraves and skirting done over the weekend and glossed. In the process, I've found out that my joinery skills aren't quite up to scratch.

Happy with the overall outcome. A few bits of touch up and tidying need doing and the Projector screen to go up, but very small jobs only internally.

Got to finish outside and landscaping then I'm done for good.

View media item 76390View media item 76389View media item 76391View media item 76392

Thanks Bob.

It's not bad for a first project, I think!!!

The Garage conversion is going to be even better!

That is nice. I need to think what I m going to put in mine other than flaming kidz toys :rolleyes:

Like the desk and seat goes well.

Thanks for the comments FMCK.

It's funny that your ACTUAL kids have taken over your new OFFICE, whereas my PLANNED child has taken over my OLD office.

Keep us updated with what goes in yours- it's looking good even with a load of kids toys in there.

UPVC doors, plastered walls, that's no shed, that's luxury!

Good result, well done.

Now, just to feed the earlier fire,
If I understand the regs correctly; glass installation, woodburners etc are also subject to being compliant as well as electrics in buildings that don't specifically require BR approval themselves.
(not saying this specifically to you, just as a general comment)
Ultimately I'm a beleiver in common sense, if it's done right, it'll be OK(!)

Just read through this thread.

You've done a great job for a diyer, congratulations :D

Well done for persisting with posting on the thread despite a tw*t trying to spoil it. No wonder this section is hardly used when people receive response like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back