Garden Office - Connecting water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im looking to put a garden office up and am just at the planning stage. I need to start digging a trench for the water and electricity to run to the unit (I think I'm correct in saying they can run in the same trench but at different depths and water being the lower of the two) but where would the best source be to connect?

The current mains is external stop cock at the front of the house a pipe runs under the house (somewhere) to the kitchen with another stop cock attached.

I don't have access to my main inlet as this is in the kitchen as its internal, I do have a cold feed which is in my garage that feeds the boiler - would this be the right choice? I might be able to attach to the cold feed which runs under the ground and then goes into the kitchen but I wouldn't have a clue how to find it - unless I start digging holes all over the place :)

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Sponsored Links
Run at the same depth, with a few inches separation between them. At least 450 mm deep If one is above the other then the upper one will obstruct access to the lower one.

Marker tapes above them. Take photos and map it so you (or contractors ) can find them if needed in a few years time when memory has faded.

Is 450 mm the frost line or does that depend on where in the UK etc you are?

If its not long run a bit of insulation round it would be worth while. Honestly though at 450mm deep it would need to be a savage cold spell to hurt it.

Sponsored Links
Is 450 mm the frost line or does that depend on where in the UK etc you are?
No it's the depth that deemed reasonably safe from mechanical damage.. I.e. putting a spade through the pipes or cable (which of course needs to be SWA)

450 mm depth for mains water.

Out of interest, what are you plans for foul water drains?

We have a foul drain right next to the plot so send it down there.

Run an extra twin wall duct for future expansion while you have the trench open, with a nylon draw rope in.

You never know if you might want some Cat5/6, phone, satellite or CCTV cables in the future.

Gaz :)

Just double checking - is it ok to run the water and leccy and anything else in black ducting as long as I run some plastic strip to say that the services are buried. As I'm only running a 25 meter trench and all the conduit seems to be in black I'm gonna buy 50 meter and cut in in two. Run water on its own and other stuff in the other conduit.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back