Garden Office/Studio

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No, just filled the gaps and then painted over.

We were concerned about expansion/contraction/movement so elected to do this rather than skim. As a result the finish isn't 100% but, by way of comparison, it's better than most of the walls in our 1930's semi!

We might (depending on how the walls hold up) put lining paper up and then repaint if we want it better but I think it's unlikely we'll go the effort.

Ah, did you dry line then ? Ie, tape the joints, fill, sand etc then?

Cant quite decide what to do in mine at the moment!

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I took the laziest route in the world and put up the plasterboard, filled the gaps, and painted. I didn't even go as far as taping though, in hindsight, I wish I had as it would have improved the finish. However skimming feels like overkill unless you are _really_ making a new room. I'll try and update the blog this evening with some final thoughts on design and build.

One thing I have noticed is that, with the sunshine and dry weather, the height of the external walls has shrunk by 14mm! On my 'Build Complete' post (http://buildingastudio.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/build-complete/) you can see I put up some trim strips around the top of the wall to cover the ugly gap. Last weekend I had to drop them all by half an inch as they were just beginning to brush the ceiling. It can't be settling as the external structure has been up for ~3 months so can only assume it's expansion and contraction.

I was paranoid about this and designed my structure accordingly. I feel slightly vindicated in my paranoia but it's definitely something to be aware of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back