Garden outbuilding query from a newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've just moved into a property in the cotswolds that has a very nice summer house (wooden) in the back garden.. it's about 4m by 2m and about 2.50m in height... I was told by the seller that it didn't require planning permission when built a few years ago.

I would like to wire it for electricity to use it as a studio/office... It's approximately 4-5m from the back of the house so very close, and the garden has just large paving stone slabs, which can be lifted up easily and replaced.. I will be calling a local electrician for a quote, but just wanted to get an idea of how much is reasonable. I can easily do it myself but as far as I understand it in the UK this is a job that has to be carried out by a qualified electrician? I'm from Cyprus where laws are different so excuse my ignorance!

The electricity demands won't be that great but I'd like to keep a 13amp supply so that I can plug a heater in if I need to.

Will wiring the summer house up require me to apply for some sort of permission etc.?

Finally, the outbuilding is a light wood.. looks like pine but I can't confirm. It is starting to go slightly grey/silver at the bottom... Is there any way to check whether it is pressure-treated or not i.e. whether it needs painting/staining every year or so? If so.. how do I go about preparing it if it's already started to turn silverish at the bottom (about 12" off the ground).

Cheers everyone!

Pavel

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back