Supply to garden office

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Paulg31, 30 Sep 2020.

1. Paulg31

Paulg31

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

I'm in the process of planning a small garden office build. I'll build the office but pay an electrician to install the electrics. However I just want to understand the potential extent of electrical works required.

I currently have a BG dual rcd board (I know BG isn't great but it as installed before I moved in). The board has spare MCBs. I understand it is better than have have the rcd protection for an outbuilding in the outbuilding rather than at the point of supply and that the supply cable doesn't need to be rcd protected? (I think it'll be a buried SWA cable size TBC by electrician). If so it is possible feed an outgoing supply non rcd protected from a dual rcd board? Or would a separate board be required for the garden office feed?

Thanks in advance!
    Paul

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The so called high integrity board will allow use of either RCBO's or no RCD protection on some slots, but all depends on the CU.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Your better bet is for your electrician to fit Henley blocks between meter and CU, fit a freestanding MCB to protect the cable then have the office RCD etc in the office. Saves having to run back to the house when the lights go off....

5. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It’s unlikely a BG has an non rcd way

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’ve seen BG boards adapted where you can have a Non RCD MCB next to the Main Switch , then you get the RCD / MCB’s / RCD / MCB’s etc etc , if you’ve got a spare way , your Electrician may be able to move things over one position so to speak ?
    Phil

8. RF Lighting

RF Lighting

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think the larger BG boards such as 6+6 splits come with a third neutral bar, so it may be possible.

I’d rather come from an existing board over installing Henley’s etc for a supply of this nature.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We're replacng 2 CU's in flats tomorrow and purchased 3+3 boards for each. They contain 3 N bars: for non 3W RCD, 4W for RCD1 & 6W for RCD2.
    These have a total of 13W for a 6W board but the image on TLC website shows different sizes combinations the N wiring to RCDs is now looped directly from main switch and not from non RCD bar.
    [​IMG]
    Can just be seen here:
    upload_2020-10-1_1-6-20.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So 2 identical boards fitted except one had neutral bars as above and the other had 5W, 6W & 3W left to right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Oct 2020
  11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local