Garden play area - bark on top of grass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm planning to build a garden climbing frame at the bottom of my garden, and want to make some for of protective flooring for the children.
At the moment there is uneven grass and it can get muddy as the slope gets to it.
I was thinking of getting some railway sleepers and creating a square frame and filling it with bark from a garden centre.
Would this be okay ,or do I need to dig the grass out a few inches and cover the soil? I'm not too sure what the best way of going about this.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
TBH I would urge you to think again - why do you think bark chippings are going to save your kids from broken bones if they fall off their climbing frame? I bet you (or your parents) grew up playing on concrete like I did. Spend the money on taking them for a nice day out!

Anyway, to answer your question, I dont think the rotting problem is major, but I would cover the grass with a thick membrane and peg it well down.

If you do go for railway sleepers, get brand new, don't go for the older originals as they're full of poisons.

Sponsored Links
New 'railway' sleepers are steel or concrete...But I know what you mean. :D

we did something similar for our play area. we covered grass with heavy duty weed control fabric and then put a wooden frame around the area. (We used smaller than sleeper only 3by3 i think). Then banked up round the lawn side of the wood so no trip hazard! We used old rycled rubber chips. They are quite expensive but less messy(no cats doing their business in it!) and last longer so might be cheaper in the long run. Our has been in for three years now and still looks as good as when we put it in. Hope this helps. Hope the children enjoy their play area!

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies! looks like bark is a big dodgy due to cats! Going to look into recycled rubber.

P.S I broke my arm as a child falling off a climbing frame onto grass. :cry:

....and I know of kids who did the same falling onto rubber chips - its all about how you fall, not always onto what you fall.

Anyway, have fun - I am sure your kids will like it.

Actually its true about falling. Someone i know went on first aid training for school, they said falling soft play floor means the brain boings about whereas concrete it just one hit :eek: Im still thinking the boinbing is more gentle than the impact of concrete though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back