Garden room walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of building a garden room/office. The walls are comprised of 4"X2" studs with 11mm OSB wrapped in breathable membrane. I'm just about to start insulating the interior using 75mm PIR. I was then going to wrap it internally with vapour control layer before boarding.

Anyway, chatting to a builder, he says to use insulated plasterboard then you won't need the vapour barrier. Is this correct, and if so which insulated plasterboard would be ideal?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As you've built the wall with studs, the insulation goes between the studs, then a VCL then PB. There is no point using insulated PB either between the studs or on top of them! (unless you want thick walls!) You were right first time. Next time maybe use SIPs - they save a heck of a lot of work and are very similar in price. https://www.simplysips.co.uk/pricing/ :giggle:

If you don't put insulated plasterboard on the inside wall you will have cold bridging with the stud walls.

Sponsored Links
If you don't put insulated plasterboard on the inside wall you will have cold bridging with the stud walls.

It's true the u value of the timber will be less than the insulated sections, but the area of the studs is small so the heat loss through the studs is minimal; whether you think it is worth spending the extra for even more insulation and slightly reduced internal space is your call. IMHO for a garden room with cladding over air gap over membrane then OSB and insulated stud wall it's going to be plenty warm enough as you have built it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back