How to insulate walls of converted outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm converting a stable into a games room for the kids. from about 3.5ft down the walls that are there are layering is as follows - outside cladding, 3x2 studwork then 18mm osb. Going up form there it lacks the osb.

I think on looking at garden rooms usually its the cladding, laths, vapour barrier, osb, insulation.

So can I put more osb up so it's the same all around then vapour barrier straight to insulation or do I have to take the existing osb down to put a new vapour barrier up. This will be a reasonably big job so I'd rather do it the other way..

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG20221226155654.jpg
    IMG20221226155654.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm converting a stable into a games room for the kids. from about 3.5ft down the walls that are there are layering is as follows - outside cladding, 3x2 studwork then 18mm osb. Going up form there it lacks the osb.

I think on looking at garden rooms usually its the cladding, laths, vapour barrier, osb, insulation.

So can I put more osb up so it's the same all around then vapour barrier straight to insulation or do I have to take the existing osb down to put a new vapour barrier up. This will be a reasonably big job so I'd rather do it the other way..

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG20221226155654.jpg
    IMG20221226155654.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 40
Mine vapour barrier than more celotex then plasterboard.

I'm 20mm monocouche render, 4" dense concrete blocks, 4" cavity, tyvek, 12.5mm osb on 4x2 studwork with 100mm celotex in the wall, another layer of 12.5mm osb then vapour barrier, then 25mm celotex then 12.5mm plasterboard then skimmed.

Attachments

• IMG_20221231_184924.jpg
    IMG_20221231_184924.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20221231_191921.jpg
    IMG_20221231_191921.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 44
Hi altnipper, at present does any water make it past the cladding in heavy rain? This would influence whether you wish to omit the a breather membrane between the cladding and OSB.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. The water does penetrate the cladding so I was going to put a breather membrane in. I just need to know if it's ok to put it warm side of OSB? Otherwise I have to remove the wood that's already there. Thanks

Hi Altnipper, if it were me I'd remove the existing OSB and put the breather membrane behind it otherwise your OSB risks getting wet, swelling and rotting over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back