Garden Shed Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning a 12 x 18 foot shed at the bottom of the garden. I had the hole dug out and rubble filled in ready for concrete. However I needed the garden levelled out and unfortunatly the hole filled with concrete was lower then the ground level.

Had a man and a digger in and he has now levelled out the whole garden but ended up filling my hold with soil. Garden looks great, nice and flat but missing the hole for the shed base. I was out at the time so didnt find out til I came home from work.

So now I have a sandiwch mix of rubble and soil on top, can I frame out the shed base on top of the soil and lay concrete straight into it? Or do I have to put more rubble in?

The guy with the digger has also trenched out soil against my neighbours outbuilding (no fence, just a big brick building) and advised me that you can't have soil against brickwork. If not, then what do I put down instead?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the shed base aspect, although you could try and remove as much of the soil as possible from the base, and re-do the hardcore? I wouldn't pour concrete onto the soil as it won't be stable enough.

As for the wall, the guy was correct, by having the soil pilled up against the neighbours wall, you can contribute to damp in that wall, find where the Damp course is and try and keep the level below that by about 100mm if possible. if you need to hold back the soil, you may have to put in a retaining solution (depends on the height) to stop the soil touching the brick work. sleeper wall, bricks, concrete gravel board for examples...

If you can provide photo's that would help identify the solution rather than trying to explain the lot in words.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back