Garden shed roof: felt nails lifting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a leak in the shed roof and when taking a gander I noticed a lot of the felt nails had lifted ever so slightly. I'm assuming these are the correct felt nails so this can't be normal for this to happen. Why is this happening and what can I do to remedy it?

Attachments

• IMG_20180527_190228.jpg
    IMG_20180527_190228.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20180527_190202.jpg
    IMG_20180527_190202.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 210
Sponsored Links
Its possibly the expansion and contraction of the wooden roof, particularly as water is getting in. The simple option is to lay another felt roof on top. I can't tell from the picture, but the felt doesn't seem like it overlaps much?

Overlap is pretty generous but it's those lifting nails that are bugging me. There must be a better option as no matter how many layers of felt I put on the nail still has to go through to the wood and if it lifts it's going to let water in. So tempted to use a decking screw combined with a washer and just put sealant over the lot as an experiment for one of the fixing points.

to be fair a properly hammered home nail will not let water through as the felt will absorb the movement on the nails with no swelling off the board as its dry

Sponsored Links
Longer felt nails.

Lifted one of the nails earlier on today to find the shortest felt nails I've ever seen so think it may be time to buy some proper ones. No idea why the person who fitted this felt thought it was a good idea to use these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back