Garden sheds advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi about a year ago I purchased an 8 by 6 wooden shed which now leaks and seems to be leaning forward.

I wish to rebuild it again as it was quite dear,The floor and roof seem to be ply and is litually peeling away.

And the only roof support is a bit of 4 by 2 does this sound right or should it have more support?

What wood should I use and what should I use on the slabs as that wood has also beun to rot also looks like 2 by 2.

Thanks for any help

James

Sponsored Links
If the shed is leaning (you can check, of course, with a level or a plumb line) one way of straightening it is to use ratchet straps (those webbing straps used for holding down loads on trucks) across the diagonals you need to shorten. When you have pulled the shed into shape, brace it with timbers or lengths of steel angle to hold it in position. You can also make plywood plates to reinforce the corners where you need to stiffen them. I did this for a friend whose shed was looking like the leaning tower of Pisa; it looks quite normal now.

It sounds as if your shed is letting in water which is causing the plywood to delaminate. If so, you need to recover the roof to stop the water coming in. Whether you replace the ply depends on how far gone it is.

Rot underneath is the result of water and lack of ventilation. You need to use treated timbers (preferably, pressure treated, or tanalised) and make sure you have a large enough gap underneath to allow a through-flow of air.

If the shed is leaning (you can check, of course, with a level or a plumb line) one way of straightening it is to use ratchet straps (those webbing straps used for holding down loads on trucks) across the diagonals you need to shorten. When you have pulled the shed into shape, brace it with timbers or lengths of steel angle to hold it in position. You can also make plywood plates to reinforce the corners where you need to stiffen them. I did this for a friend whose shed was looking like the leaning tower of Pisa; it looks quite normal now.

It sounds as if your shed is letting in water which is causing the plywood to delaminate. If so, you need to recover the roof to stop the water coming in. Whether you replace the ply depends on how far gone it is.

Rot underneath is the result of water and lack of ventilation. You need to use treated timbers (preferably, pressure treated, or tanalised) and make sure you have a large enough gap underneath to allow a through-flow of air.

Thanks great idea about the rachet straps.

What size would you reccomend for underneath?

Thanks

you have a 1 year old shed and its rotting already!!!!!

was the felt affixed to the roof properly !!!

do you have a link or pictures off the shed!!

instaled correctly and treated as advised it should be around 5 years before any maintanance becomes urgent :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If your shed has a lean it may be due to an uneven base.

I would create a level base using concrete building blocks and 2"x4" pressure treated timber as bearers, this will allow air to circulate under your shed.

If the roof has rotted out (shouldn't have in under a year) replace it with OSB and re felt it.

A few pictures here, and an entertaining vid at the bottom of the page :D

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Shed

I would send them a snotmail.

Are you still within your one year guarantee period that most retailers seem to go by ?

You have consumer protection up to 6 years on some products, it is all down to what is reasonable.

Is it reasonable to expect a shed that cost £250 to last more than 12 months.?

Some info here.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

I would write to them stating you are not happy with the poor state that the shed is now in and that you expected at least 2/3 years use from it before it needed any attention. Ask them to repair it to suitable standard that a one year old shed should be in.

Quote from the website;
For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

I would send them a snotmail.

Are you still within your one year guarantee period that most retailers seem to go by ?

You have consumer protection up to 6 years on some products, it is all down to what is reasonable.

Is it reasonable to expect a shed that cost £250 to last more than 12 months.?

Some info here.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

I would write to them stating you are not happy with the poor state that the shed is now in and that you expected at least 2/3 years use from it before it needed any attention. Ask them to repair it to suitable standard that a one year old shed should be in.

Quote from the website;
For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

Thank you for all that thats much appriecated will see what they say

taken from the same website

same website said:
• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

Was built by the same firm as well as was included in price

so that means, the shed itself did not cost a lot. also how long is "about" in your case? no, really check first.

I was at a job the other day, and as i am a sad git, i had written the date i was doing the job on the flip side of a lid, it was 4 years previous. point was time does fly and i didnt realise i was there that long ago, but i was, it was my own writing

The OP has indicated that the shed cost around £225 before any build costs, I would expect a shed of that value to last longer than 12 months.
They must do as well as they offer a 10 year warranty now.

If the shed is 4 years old then the situation is, of course, different.

i am not saying the shed is any particular age other than its over a year old. what i am saying is, find out for sure exactly how old it really is, as the age of things is one thing people often get wrong.

Hi the shed is 14 months old and they refuse to replace as was fitted by people who they no longer deal with? Suprise suprise ih but they woud be willing to do me a new one with 5% off lol.
I kindly declined

Hi the shed is 14 months old and they refuse to replace as was fitted by people who they no longer deal with? Suprise suprise ih but they woud be willing to do me a new one with 5% off lol.
I kindly declined

not your problem
it was errected by the company or there agents
it was obviously wrongly instaled so there responcibilitys

as said above speak to trading standads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back