Garden - Time to start again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After Clearing the garden, then leaving it for too long I am back to square 1!

Oh well time to start again, below is what I want to acheive:

What do you think?
Would you change anything or do you have any ideas that could improve the garden....

Sponsored Links
My 1st job was to fit a 10.7m fence along the side wall of the garden.

As the neighbors’ garden is 2 foot higher than mine I used 10m posts 2foot in the ground, 2 foot against the wall and 6 foot above the wall.
The posts are 1.8m apart, as you may see I need to add 1 more post next to the end post.

A hard afternoon’s work with a shovel and the 6 posts were in within a few hours.

Next job: fit the cross beams and feather edge boards....

As you can see this may be a fairly long process and prob never finished but i'll keep updating as i go....

Fence 1 complete!

A view fron the neighbours garden:

Now to start a small fence on the opposite boundary and a balcony / deck to cover the useless 4 tiers I have next to the old brick steps.

Sponsored Links
Guess you realise Planning Permission is required for anything over a foot off the ground? Not saying anyone will complain or that the Planners will take any enforcement action but just sayin like!

Keep it up!

From the level of my garden or my neighbors?

The neighbor’s garden is 2 foot higher than mine; they also paid for the materials and ordered the posts / boards in this length as we agreed it was a decent height for the both of us.
They paid i fitted.....not a bad deal all round.

no the decks done yet exist.....although when i open my patio door there is a foot foot drop so they are required....lol

Guess you realise Planning Permission is required for anything over a foot off the ground? Not saying anyone will complain or that the Planners will take any enforcement action but just sayin like!

Keep it up!

If the location of the deck is Cardiff, as the posters profile suggests, then I believe the 300mm max height limit does not apply in wales

see http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/decking/
and change the drop down in the top right to see the differences between english and welsh planning guidance relating to decking.

yes im in Wales, i have never hered of this 300mm rule, sounds a tad harsh.

I notice a few of my neighbours have added rased paio areas / decks....im sure it will be fine.

no one can see in anyway lol

After a bit of battling with the nettles and weeds I think I am finally getting back to a blank canvas!
I also found a rather large concrete post with the concrete base attached, after an hour of digging and using 2 fence posts to lever it out of the hole I won!

I now want to add a path from the steps along the fence to the rear corner, with no access at all other than through my front door – living room – dinning room and kitchen Gravel may well be out of the question….

My next option is bark, as its much lighter…although im sure it would end up looking rubbish after 6 months…
Any other options, decking could be my best bet as I have a load of old decking to take up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back