Garden Wall falling apart!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Hope you can help me out with a bit of advice...

I don't have a clue when it comes to anything like DIY and the likes but I'm trying (thanks to a lot of information on here!!) so be kind :)

Anyway, we are trying to sort out our house at the moment but as my OH lost his job a weej after Xmas we can't afford to pay someone who knows what they are doing, so we are attempting things ourselves. Our wall outside is covered in this thick white stuff which is crumbling off - is it render? No idea! Anyway, as you can see from the photos it looks horrendous, and we wondered if we could just chip it all off using a hammer and a chisel or something? It is literally falling off when you look at it! What we are worried about, though, is the state of the wall underneath. I.e. if we take this stuff off and the walls are 'exposed to the elements' the wall will come down! I mean, it looks solid enough but some of the plaster between the bricks is gone..

Eventually when the OH gets back into work we will most likely pay for someone to demolish and build a new one but that could be months away and we'd like to get some work done ASAP.

Hope this makes sense and I hope to hear from you :) Thank you.

Sponsored Links
21854.jpg

clean it off and repoint wall job done

Sponsored Links
Hello, thanks for previous replies but I have another question... :oops:

What should I do about the parts where some of the brick has also come out? I made a start yesterday (I have blisters on my hands to prove it!) and some of the bricks did crumble a little and on one part some of the brick came out.

Any advice apreciated.
Also, once it is all done would I need to treat the wall with anything to protect it?

TIA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back