Rendering a garden wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have built a 4 breeze block high retaining garden wall around our property. The facing side we will be rendering and painting, the other side will just be earth holding. I am fully aware that to prevent the render from blowing off I need to make the brick face waterproof. As I believe in doing it right and doing it once I will be having the inside of the wall painting with Bitumen paint, I'll then be putting the waterproof membrane against that as a secondary protection method. I was wanting to put a protective board against that too but can anybody recommend a good type to use as I'm not sure. I'll be fastening the sheeting over the top of the wall and then the wall caps will be placed on to seal it off. At the back I'll be putting a fair bit of gravel is as drainage as I have 2 tonnes of the stuff to get rid of (collected from demolishing another project), with all this is mind, will I be able to avoid drilling drainage holes at the bottom of the wall as I have read somewhere that this should be done.

This isn't something I do for a living, this is just for our back garden so if any of this is incorrect then any extra advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back