Protecting & Painting Sand/Cement Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've just had the garden walls fully rendered with sand/cement.

The builder has advised that after the walls have dried I'd need to protect them from the weather with pvc.

Could anyone please tell me what do I need to do to paint and protect the wall render from weather corrosion?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the pvc bit Is about??

Just pain with a decent masonary paint. For retaining walls better to use pliolyte oil based paint or similar.

Sponsored Links
Thanks r896neo.

Basically I want to either protect the render as it is because it looks nice in it's natural colour which is my preferred choice, or if I can't do that, then paint it a light colour (white/sandstone).

I assumed pvc makes the render waterproof and protects it from rain / frost??

You don't have to paint it but exterior render can gradually discolour and look slightly uneven, especially on garden walls. Structurally the render is suitable to remain uncoated but painting will protect it and make it easier to maintain.

The most important thing with rendered garden walls is having a good coping on top.

You may need to keep it covered for a day until it begins to go off but it shouldn't need covered at all after 24hrs.

Thanks very much.

As you'll be aware from my other threads, I've got a lot of work to do which could take a few months.

Will I be okay to leave it for this long before painting it?

Your a star buddy. (y)

I've still got loads of questions to ask as I'm thinking of building my own fire pit table, but I'll start a new topic for that.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back