Rendering a wooden fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wooden fence which is directly at the bottom of the garden. The fence is a traditional 6 foot with vertical planks with spacing in between each plank. Attached is an image showing what it currently looks like.

I want to give the fence a make-over by changing the appearance from a wooden fence to a rendered wall.

My question is how would I achieve this rendered look? Obviously I will need to apply some sort of wood or cladding on top of the original structure.

To do this I'd need wood or cladding that was protected and not liable to rot. Could I use an external plywood or perhaps cempanels that would allow me to cement / plaster on top? Or perhaps there is another material that I could use that I'm not aware of?

It will then be finished with a glossy white external paint.

Sponsored Links
You'd make yourself a real can of worms there - not least the problems that water ingress and wind movement would cause!
If privacy is your thing, maybe shiplap panels would be the way to go.
John :)

As mentioned forget rendering it, or indeed anything that isn't a properly constructed wall in its place. It will not work. You may be able to achieve a similar effect with flat painted boards, and could use an SBR + sand mix to texture it up before painting to get a reasonably faithful match.

BUT - whatever you decide on it is worth considering if that style of fence was selected specifically because there is an issue with wind along that boundary. It might not be relevant but often they are installed where strong winds are present and where solid fences risk being damaged.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you need to forget it.

Try attaching versapanels to the fence and the paint with textured paint.

its easy fix render board to the fence base coat mesh and top coat with monocouche same thing as rendering a timber frame

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back