Paving slab against wooden fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Neighbour wants to put a paving slab up against the wooden fence to bank up soil. Is their anything i can put in between the wooden boards and the paving slab to prevent the wood rotting?

Sponsored Links
Depends how yo get on with your neighbour, but a bad idea, in time it will push the fence over as well as rotting it.
One option might be to replace fence posts with concrete slotted one and drop in a couple of concrete gravel boards to above the new soil level. Really it's a retaining wall on his side that is needed.

Thanks, don't really get on too well. I was thinking of hard plastic between slab and fence. Or using car underseal The slab is small, 2 feet square

In that case maybe couple of layers of roofing felt, what will happen when you come to replace the fence at some point though.

Sponsored Links
Neighbour wants to put a paving slab up against the wooden fence to bank up soil.

Quite apart from the damp and rot, the force will push on your fence, possibly breaking it, possibly pushing the fence posts over.

If the fence belongs to your neighbour, he will bear the cost of rebuilding it.

He would do better to put his hand in his pocket and build a retaining wall.

Or you can, if you are generous.

Quite apart from the damp and rot, the force will push on your fence, possibly breaking it, possibly pushing the fence posts over.

If the fence belongs to your neighbour, he will bear the cost of rebuilding it.

He would do better to put his hand in his pocket and build a retaining wall.

Or you can, if you are generous.
Well no, he's a know it all and difficult to get on with lol. Bit of a bugger but will see what i can do

Longer concrete fence posts with gravel boards would be better but more costly

The council is letting the neighbours plant on public green outside the fence. For some reason they decided to heap soil against a wall for a flower bed.
My fence form the inside of a corner, do i have a right angle triangular heap o soil on it about 18 inches tall. Ive dug it out snd trying to contact who did it but they're sway on their holidays for two weeks
They originally heaped bare soil up and i dug it out, thry now used slabs.

I could chat with them, or just to keep the peace, put hard plastic between fence and slabs while they're away and leave it st that.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back