Brick Wall in Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondered if anyone could help with some advice on our front garden wall.

We have an brick wall in our front garden which has been rendered by the previous owners and painted over.

However, over the many years since some of the rendering has chipped away. In addition, the top layer of bricks have also be damaged/chipped away as well - both actions making the wall look unsightly.

Was wondering if the top layer of bricks could be removed and then levelled off and also if the old rendering could be also be removed and re-rendered?

Had someone over to have a look at it and he said that I should knock it down and start again...which doesn't make sense to me as the wall seems absolutely rock solid! Not sure if was just angling to get me to pay out big bucks!!!

We really cannot afford to spend hundreds getting a new wall done so could anyone advise us if repairing the top layer and rendering again is possible or would it weaken the wall?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
no idea, but a picture or 2 will help.

to add a picture look in forum information

should be entirley possible from what you say. anyone decent should be able to patch in the rendering. the patches will show in terms of colour but if youre painting the wall it wont. also a cheaper option than re-rendering the whole lot. as breezer says a piccie would help

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
should be entirley possible from what you say. anyone decent should be able to patch in the rendering. the patches will show in terms of colour but if youre painting the wall it wont. also a cheaper option than re-rendering the whole lot. as breezer says a piccie would help

Thanks Thermo and Breezer for your reply!

Unfortunately I haven't got my camera yet (must be last person to actually buy a digi cam in the world!!!..but will be buying one soon). However, I'll borrow one and put some pix up.

Watch this space!

In the meantime thanks for giving me a ray of hope!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back