Repair to brick garden wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got a 35 year old low ornamental brick garden wall that has broken off on one top corner when I removed a rusty gate post from it.
To repair it normally I would cut out the damaged bricks and replace etc but the the bricks are "convex faced" with a course surface and I cannot source them anywhere locally.
I want to build up the corner with a cement render type mix and stipple the surface to get as close a match as poss to the other bricks.
My question is, am I ok to use a sand-cement mix of 3-1 and is silver sand ok to use which i think will give a closer match on colour.
This may seem like I`m being a bit fussy but the wall is a focal point at the front of our garden.
Any tips please?
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Stuart, unfortunately i`m not savvy enough with uploading pics. The corner chunk of brick`s damaged is about 6" long in each of three directions, (two horizontal and the one vertical). If you can advise on any surface prep and the cement mix I can do a trial or two first to get the best colour match etc.
Thanks for your help.
Mike

Sponsored Links
You might have to mix a few different colours of cementone to get it close. Aim to make it a bit darker as it will get lighter in time. Leave the samples for a few weeks to see how they turn out. Wet the brickwork or apply PVA before applying the mix. Use two coats if possible. Finish with a sponge if a rougher finish is needed or a metal trowel for a smoother finish.
There are firms that will colour match mortar for you. A friend of mine used to replace wall ties and used them for the making good.
There are also firms that have a brick matching service getting bricks from anywhere in the country.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back