Fence Post Issues with Wider Wall Foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope that someone can help me.

I am partway through constructing a close board fence next to my new single skin garden wall. The previous fence was posts and panels some of which were bolted into the wall, these recently took out part of the wall in a storm.

Have got half the fence done but the footings in the next part of the wall are a good deal wider extending 30cm beyond brickwork surface. Up to this point, I have managed to get the posts in at 8.5cm from the brick surface butting them up against the footings in this area. Am fixing rails to the face of the posts to achieve a finished fence closer to the surface of the brick wall.

Fence  - Edited.png

As you can see from my drawing:

• The finished height of the fence from the surface of my garden is 175cm.

• The footings that are causing me an issue extend 30cm beyond the surface of the brick.

• The surface of the garden is 50cm above these footings.

Because there are curves in the wall I am installing posts fairly close together in this area.

Fence Pic (1) - Edited.jpg

I normally go down 60cm for post holes. In this case, would 50cm be OK?

If not, what's my best option to solve this issue?

NB; It may seem like I have already asked this question in another post, I did run across some cement at surface level. Was planning on using a bolt in post shoe to overcome a curve, in another difficult area, this is a whole new issue :(.

Sponsored Links
So are you ditching those waney lap panels in favour of close board fence or fence panels? If you are bolting to wall and concrete in the post 500mm is plenty of depth.

Thanks foxhole,

Am not going panels otherwise cannot get close to the curve of the wall.

Am fixing to the face of the posts to get the finished fence closer to the inside of the brick wall.

The problem with bolting is that there's a gap between the post and the wall as the current posts are set approx. 8.5 cm from the brick surface.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back