Garden Wall issue

DRF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live 4 houses from the bottom in a row of terraced houses. To the rear of the houses there is a wide back alley which was used for delivering coal back in the day. All but the bottom 4 houses (mine included) have extended their back garden walls either into or completely over the shared alley. I would like to have a larger garden and would like to do as every other house up from me has done and move my wall in line with theirs. Absolutely no one would be inconvenienced by this as mine is the last house with the wide alley. All the houses upstream have already done it and the houses downstream would not have the width of their alley compromised. I have made a SIM application from the land registry and have found out that the land is not registered. I have also discussed this with my neighbours and they don't mind. I'm a bit nervous about going ahead as I don't really know whether I'm allowed to do this or not. Any advice that can be given would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I'd do it. It all seems legal. If you're worried, why not build a wooden fence and see what happens? If someone burns it down or you find your cat nailed to your front door then you'll know that you've upset someone.

Cover it. My cousin was in same scenario. Other road side neighbour made a fuss, but legally could not do anything. If you have been in house for over a decade,also can put an application to land registry to register it with your deeds.

• Thanks
Reactions: DRF
Sponsored Links
Land Registry will not just register a land "just like that"(what if the next door neighbour tried to do same as well,getting an L shaped garden). Your case is stronger if you can show you have used the land for a certain number of years. All info is also on Land registry website.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back