Water under house

Good luck with contacting Severn Trent Water Ltd. I've found them a nightmare to contact. You never get to speak to the same person twice, they have no record of your previous phone conversation with them, they contradict what the previous person said to you etc. They are a monopoly water company and you can't go anywhere else for your water and drainage. Bar stewards.

Sponsored Links
Good luck with contacting Severn Trent Water Ltd. I've found them a nightmare to contact. You never get to speak to the same person twice, they have no record of your previous phone conversation with them, they contradict what the previous person said to you etc. They are a monopoly water company and you can't go anywhere else for your water and drainage.

Good luck with contacting Severn Trent Water Ltd. I've found them a nightmare to contact. You never get to speak to the same person twice, they have no record of your previous phone conversation with them, they contradict what the previous person said to you etc. They are a monopoly water company and you can't go anywhere else for your water and drainage.

In all fairness they did send someone out to take samples of water under house and analyse it. It came back as rain or ground water.

This has been resolved. Severn Trent came and ran a different colour dye through the lines of each of our four houses.

Came back as my neighbour. His kitchen drain was shot. All his sink, washing machine, dishwasher waste was draining under the floor. He has now had it all routed to soil pipe.

It must have been there a while as one stilt type support under my kitchen floor has rotted black. That will be an insurance job. Severn Trent pumped the majority of the water out and said it will slowly dry out under the floorboards.

Thanks very much everyone for your advice.

Sponsored Links
So their first test said it was definitely rainwater, and the second test said it was definitely the neighbour’s kitchen? Hmm.....

So their first test said it was definitely rainwater, and the second test said it was definitely the neighbour’s kitchen? Hmm.....
I thought that too, I think they fobbed me off first time. I did see the dye coming in from neighbours side, so I guess that doesn't lie.

I am just glad it is resolved. They pumped a lot of water out from under my lounge. I will let it settle for a week and hopefully it should start drying up.

You still need a drain away method for all that rainwater though..

Yes, my mate is a roofer and does guttering. He is going to route it to the soil pipe at the back of my house. I believe this is ok as there is no separate drain provided for rain or ground water.

I am just glad it is resolved. They pumped a lot of water out from under my lounge. I will let it settle for a week and hopefully it should start drying up.

If you possibly can, it might be worth your while putting a fan or a blower down there, to move air about and to speed up the drying process. How is the timber down there - any sign of rot?

If you possibly can, it might be worth your while putting a fan or a blower down there, to move air about and to speed up the drying process. How is the timber down there - any sign of rot?
The living room joists are fine. What I could see looked like new. There is a steel RSJ running from front to back of house too down there. Maybe something to do with down stairs fire place and chimney breast removal?

The only clear sign of rot is where a wooden stilt like support under kitchen floor has actually been standing in water. That has gone black and will need replacing unless it was just left there after RSJ was put in?

Going to call insurance company soon.

I would expect the insurance company to try to claim off your neighbour, for the cost of repairing any damage.
Yes those are my thoughts. Severn Trent are emailing me a detailed report of work carried out and report.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back