Garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Back again for some more friendly advice please.

People moved in next door with two Rottweiler's and they soon smashed through my fence. Rather than just replace it with like-for-like but new, which I'm sure wont last too long, thought a concrete block wall would be better. My garden is in two levels, so I want part of the wall to be 1.9m (6') high and part of it can be just 1m (3'). There will also be a piece of wall coming out at right angles halfway along, to support the higher garden level which is 600mm higher.

The 1.9m wall will be 5.5m long, the 1m wall 4m, the right angled wall will be around 2m long and then have another right angle on that for some steps.

My thoughts are to build all the walls out of 215 concrete blocks and when the concrete is poured into the gaps, it will hold all the different levels of wall together. Does this sound a decent plan? Wasn't going to build piers, as I hope the right angled wall would provide some support. On the far end of the 1.9m wall, I will fix this to me shed there, with some timber drilled into both.

I could of course use 100mm blocks laid on the flat.

My final option would be too have a 1m high wall all along and then some fencing on top, that should still keep their dogs out!

Appreciate some thought please, thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have a question?

A 1.9m high block-work wall will look like a prison enclosure.

It will either need piers or at least changes of direction along its length.

It will require a substantial foundation, meaning an exposed trench and an open garden for considerable time.

Yes 1.9m is perhaps too high. Perhaps 1m and then a close board fence on top, close boarded on both sides to keep the dogs out may be better.

Sponsored Links
i would bury some 100mm round posts very deeply into some concrete and use some kennel mesh to keep the dog out. i'd deal with the privacy issue after with some planting or some kind of hit and miss timber fence...?

Is this wall free standing or, as indicated by the steps will some of it form a retaining solution as well? is your neighbours garden level with yours?

I would suggest that as the damage was caused by your neighbour that they should be paying something towards costs, even if it was to share, they have caused the damage to the fence so should be paying something towards it.

Is this wall free standing or, as indicated by the steps will some of it form a retaining solution as well? is your neighbours garden level with yours?
It will be free standing on a 16" wide 9" deep foundation. It will replace the fence between my neighbours and our garden.
Pretty sure now it will just be 1-metre high, as suggested, 2-metres is too much

I would suggest that as the damage was caused by your neighbour that they should be paying something towards costs, even if it was to share, they have caused the damage to the fence so should be paying something towards it.
Agree, but that wont happen! They even said when they moved in they would put up a fence, when they found out it was fence and responsibility, they did nothing. So to ensure a replacement fence isn't wrecked, the bottom metre will now be solid block.

You have my sympathy for ending up with antisocial neighbours who will not step up to their responsibilities and have dogs which are out of control.

Presumably any legal action would just make things worse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back