Garden Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Brief intro. I know nothing. But when I'm quoted 20k for a garden wall and steps then I'm going to give it a go by myself. I get it, the quote was accurate and I'm not complaining. I just can't afford it.

I speak in plain English so any words that might mean brick or wood said in any other way might confuse my old brain.

Skillset doesn't exist. Drill a hole and chaos follows. I can just about mow the grass without losing a leg.

My query for anybody to guide me is:

I removed the crumbling old garden wall that seemed to be made from randomly shaped waste concrete blocks. The steps were bricks, Castacrete blocks and slabs. The mortar was like sand in places.

The wall was a retaining wall about 3 feet high against soil. The steps about 4 feet high or just over leading up to the garden. The wall and steps were about 40 feet long. It was single skinned with no 7N blocks backing it up which is probably why is was crumbling. (Stop me if I'm talking nonsense)

I took the wall down to a smooth poured/laid footing (?) and this is slightly above ground, including the steps.

One side remains in good condition. The other has crumbled so I have to lay new footing on one side at least.

However, should I remove all the remaining footing? It sits above ground on some areas and from what I've read so far, should the footing for my future wall be slightly below ground level for strength?

I'm either going to use bricks, blocks or wooden sleepers. I don't yet know. Whatever is easiest or cheapest.

Should I lay 7N blocks?

I have a billion more questions but that's a rabbit hole which I will avoid at this moment.

Good folks on this forum. Help this old (but strong and not afraid of work) son of a gun to build a wall that will last at least as long as I'm living here. Or alive. Whichever comes first.

IMG_20230621_105038639.jpg
IMG_20230621_105058002.jpg
IMG_20230621_105115213.jpg
Thanks in anticipation.

RZ
IMG_20230621_105151515.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back