Garden Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I have a wall in my garden, separating the top from bottom that has started to fall down. I want to rebuild another one but not sure where to start. I understand that I need to dig a "footing" but do I need to fill this with cement? Or can I just start the wall from there?

I must add that this wall will be a supporting wall in the sense that my garden is on a slop, one side has steps to get to the bottom and the other side has this brick wall. If you go to the edge you will be able to drop down to the bottom of the garden (hope I have painted a good pic)

The current wall is roughly 8 bricks high and 15 brick long.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Need to dig a footing? Did someone advise you to?
The present footing should suffice unless you were to in erase height or width of this wall.

Any chance you could upload a picture?

I'm the mean time, if your budget allows, I'd suggest looking into Gabion baskets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 114
You may need to think more carefully before ploughing ahead. 8 bricks high is over 2 feet and its retaining so any old thing may not suffice.

I would hazard a guess that the old one fell down because it wasn't up to the job so reusing the existing foundation may not be wise.

Ensuring good drainage is essential behind a retaining wall. Perhaps a photo would help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back