Garden Well - Overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to view a house today and the garden looks like this, is this normal or is it a drainage issue? The first time we viewed this was bone dry and looked like a path.

Its a 1929 house, it looks like this is designed as a well overflow due to it being lower and the brick edging. The well is capped off.

Attachments

• pond.JPG
    pond.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 158
Sponsored Links
What does the Sales blurb say about this "pond"?

Any idea where it drains to? there has to be some sort of an "Over spill / drain"

Ken.

Everywhere has a lot of water around at the moment, there has been snow melt and a lot of rain. Is the plot at a local high spot or low spot?

My own back garden is very wet.

Don't know where it drains too and the agent was quite surprised to see it as well so its not a "feature" mentioned in any sales documentation. Its not a low spot.

Also noticed 2 badger holes right at the rear in the bushes.

Sponsored Links
A open well can only "overflow" if the water table is higher than the well. As mentioned the recent heavy rain has saturated the ground and water tables are much higher than normal.

What does the current owner say about it?

I guess with the bad rains, you're seeing the worst it will get. What we are seeing could get worse still so never assume.

Maybe the badgers blocked up the usual drainage system? If its not a low spot, there will be somewhere for the water to go.

All our experience of Badgers and Foxes is that they cause ponds to empty/banks to collapse. Yet to see them make drainage worse.

Looks like a swim up bar to me, water needs treating though :whistle:

Trying to get info from the owners, its empty and not been lived in for a long time! Condensation central. Big job to do up, so didn't really need the new pond, however, swim up bar has a ring to it! Should work a treat in the UK winter weather ;)

Trying to get info from the owners, its empty and not been lived in for a long time! Condensation central. Big job to do up, so didn't really need the new pond, however, swim up bar has a ring to it! Should work a treat in the UK winter weather ;)

Those are poor resolution photos, but from what little I can make out - the water seems to have been that level for some considerable time. The grass around looks paler, by the edge and it almost looks like a natural or intentional pond.

If not a deliberate pond, the sides do look rather steep down to the water.

upload_2021-1-23_20-39-57.png

Level has been like that for a few days since last weeks storm. Will go round this week to see if it has drained. New pics hopefully higher res, plus one from the summer to see it without the water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back