GardTec 595

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, following the mountain of trouble we had with our old Menvier alarm, we decided to take the plunge and install a brand new system.

We used to have a Gardiner alarm at our old house, so decided to go for one of these, as they seem pretty easy to use and configure etc.

The old Menvier system has been installed with 8-core wiring throughout, so I don't see any problems using the old cables.

I'm going to remove the old system at the weekend, and just use the old cable - everything else will be new (including the PIRs).

A couple of questions before I get stuck into it.

1. Am I right in thinking that there's just one tamper zone on a GardTec 595 system? If this is the case, do I just daisy-chain the tamper circuit from one zone to the next?

2. The system has got 8 zones built on, and I also bought a couple of extra zone expanders. The guy told me that each zone expander could take another 8 zones, giving me a total of 24, but upon inspection of the expanders, it would seem they only give an extra 4 each (or am I missing something).

3. I've got something called an STU interface - what's this for, and how do I install it?

4. I've also got something called a Serial Cable -S Dialler/595. Is this to hook up to the phone system to dial out during an alarm activation? Also, how do I install this?

Sponsored Links
1)dont know, but if it does not use resistors then yes.

3) you do not need it, it is for a remote signaling device

5) read the manual

Why have you bought a load of gear you don't understand the function of?

Presumably you know how many devices there are in your home, ie passives, contacts, etc... So put one on each zone, if the wiring allows. That's how many zones you'll need. I assume you bought the ZE's because you needed them?

Don't forget to test the wiring to make sure it is fault-free before reconnecting new gear to it.

Why have you bought a load of gear you don't understand the function of?
Because I do mostly understand what I want to do, but I thought that the item's I'm not sure about, I could post here and ask someone who would be kind enough to reply.

Presumably you know how many devices there are in your home, ie passives, contacts, etc... So put one on each zone, if the wiring allows. That's how many zones you'll need. I assume you bought the ZE's because you needed them?
Yes, I allowed a zone for each device (ie mag contact or PIR). Yes, I did buy the zone expanders, but was told that they would support eight zones, but looking at the board, it only has four zones on it.

Don't forget to test the wiring to make sure it is fault-free before reconnecting new gear to it.
Yes - I was going make sure all of the old wiring was OK before I got going. I'm pretty sure it is OK, but I am going to check just to be sure.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm still a bit unsure about the tamper zones, and the zone expanders, but I'm sure I can call Risco's helpline if all else fails!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back